On a scale of 1 to 10, our two week trip to Peru was a 15. Seriously, the trip exceeded our wildest expectations and we are ever so grateful I chose Ancient Summit to make all the arrangements. We appreciated every single detail of each excursion, each hotel, each meal, each step in our hiking boots, and most of all, each person we met. As sad as we were to leave the beautiful people and landscapes of Peru, we felt we milked every minute with a fun-filled, adventurous itinerary that would make some heads spin. For us, it was perfection!
From the moment we stepped off the plane in Lima to the moment we stepped back on, we were treated as well as any movie star or head of state. We took advantage of every opportunity every single day. It was physically challenging and that was great so we could keep eating all the great food!! You truly customized this trip based on our desires and we had the perfect amount of “roughing it” and the perfect amount of luxury. And what I wanted most of all I got 10 fold….a unique trip unlike every other tourist.
Nina, you deserve an A+++++ as does Philippa who helped you orchestrate a very busy 2 weeks.
I hesitate to draw attention to “highlights” because truthfully, every single day was filled with them!! But some of them were:
- Juan Carlos was exceptional, personable, helpful, knowledgeable, athletic and a perfect guide for Andy and me. We loved getting to know him and shared many, many laughs.
- Adolfo, the driver, was the sweetest man. I loved him! Limo service at its best, always timely, and always smiling and helpful.
- Ausengate Trek: a trek of a lifetime! I suspected this was our style of scenery vs. the long Inca trail and I was right. It was phenomenal!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- This trek defined the trip. Meeting villagers, shepherds, thousands of animals and breathtaking scenery with 4 other wonderful guests, terrific food, amazing staff.
- This trek is for the athletic or experienced hiker. This was a side of Peru most people won’t ever see and it was heart-warming and we were filled with gratitude they allowed us in their lives.
- Inca Trail hike: This was totally different and fun. Very glad we did it!
- Machu Picchu: interesting and worth seeing for sure. One day was enough to see and learn.
- Horseback Riding with Pablo: totally exceeded our expectations!!! This day was phenomenal! The salt mines, the horses, Pablo, his fabulous lunch, the town of Maras, the scenery…wouldn’t have given this day up! Absolutely fabulous!!
- Cusco tour, Alpaca farm, and other sites: we saw plenty! We drove around so much we actually saw many towns, markets, people, etc.
- Lunch at your lovely friends’ place: Of course I went crazy over their garden and food!!!! And house!! Absolutely wonderful time. His studio was amazing also like something out of a movie.
- Hike up Huayna Picchu: Spectacular! We also hiked down to Aguas Calientes town instead of taking the bus which was fun.
- Hotels- we were very, very pleased with all of them!!
- Kayaking: great way to end our trip. Outstanding and beautiful lunch! Guide was adorable young man.
- Lima: We went to a GREAT place downtown. Had our first ceviche! Food was outstanding! Very nice guide. Saw several sites including Presidential palace. Driving in Lima was the craziest we’ve ever experienced.
Please know all the hard work planning was for a husband and wife who appreciated everything very much.
Thank you both. We will never forget this 2 weeks as long as we live.
Susan and Andrew Ortbals, May 2015.