Machu Picchu is one of the most popular travel destinations in the world. And many, many people dream of visiting. But most people are probably unaware of these interesting Machu Picchu facts.
1. Machu Picchu means “Old Mountain”.
2. Its majestic architecture comprises 140 structures throughout the citadel.
3. It was built by the Inca Pachacutec around the year 1460. *Many believe it is much older*.
4. After being forgotten, in 1911 the American Hiram Bingham reached Machu Picchu in an expedition and disseminated this place worldwide.
5. It is the best known symbol of the Inca Empire, once called the “Lost City of the Incas”.
6. In 1913 it received worldwide attention after the magazine National Geographic Society dedicated its entire print run in April at the newly rediscovered city.
7. It is one of the New 7 Wonders of the World, Heritage, Historical Sanctuary of Peru and probably the most important archaeological site in Latin America.
8. When it was found by Bingham, it was inhabited.
9. It is located at 2,400 meters above sea level. (7,970 ft).
Bonus: If you want to avoid the crowd and experience Machu Picchu, plus many other wonderful destinations in Peru in a different and unique way, contact us! Our exclusive travel itineraries are always customized to suit the traveler and designed to take them the beaten path and into an extraordinary, authentic, cultural experience.